Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Fur he's a jolly good fellow ...

... this has to be one of the hairiest moths I have ever seen. Close up he is an amazing little fellow. I have no idea what species it is or even what family it belongs to. But who cares? He looks great. I saw him at my school in Knon Kaen today. 


Since I added this post, searching www.malaeng.com (the best resource on Thai bugs), I found the species - and it's a male! According to malaeng.com, it states: "All stages of this moth are considered poisonous to human[s] because of poisonous hairs." Wow! Pretty hairy stuff.

Order: Lepidoptera
Family: Lasiocampidae
Vernacular name: Small-tent caterpillar
Scientific name: Trabala pallida (Walker)


Here, he started flapping his wings ready for take off ...


He landed on the bannister. Cool reflection.






No comments:

Post a Comment