Saturday, May 19, 2012

There's a tiger in my garden ...

 ... O.K., so it's not one that can rip me apart, but one that will tear everything else to shreds. Tiger beetles are predaceous daytime-feeding insects that seem to always move at high speed. If you are a bug, you have no chance. There are a few species in Thailand and I think this is a common one. The markings are different, but I know they are variable. They are normally found by the edge of water along sandy banks and mud. This one was attracted into the garden by light. Maybe it's a rare nocturnal species. Yet, as it was more docile (being nighttime) I assume it was simply seeking refuge. Over to the experts for ID ...

Order: Coleoptera (beetles)
Family/genus: Cicindelidae
Vernacular name: Common Tiger Beetle
Scientific name:  Cosmodela aurulenta juxtata (Acciavatti & Pearson, 1989)







From above, he is rather dull-looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment