Tuesday, May 22, 2012

A milli-stamp-ede ...


I have lived in my house now for 5 months and up until tonight I hadn't seen a single millipede (though I have seen hundreds in Thailand). Anyway, tonight, I saw not only two specimens, but two species. One, of which, I have never seen before (below). It is similar to others I have seen, but smaller and with yellow colouration. It was about 4-5 cms long and also fairly quick at walking. If I touched it, it didn't curl up in a ball, it simply continued its journey to nowhere (it seemed that way anyway). I think it is of the Tylopus family (looking at Thailand's best resource site - www.malaeng.com), but I am not 100% sure. I need and expert on this for confirmation.

Class: Diplopoda กิ้งกือ ตะเข็บ Millipedes
Family: Tylopus (need confirmation)
Vernacular name: Unknown
Scientific name: Unknown




No comments:

Post a Comment