Saturday, May 19, 2012

Tree huggers ...

Across from my home there is a pond and an area of wasteland (probably why so many bugs are attracted to my house every night). I decided to make a visit recently and though it looked promising, the heavens opened and I had to run back home. I did manage to spot one species though. Living on the bark of an old tree, I spotted what I first thought were some kind of hopper (it was dark with tree cover). When I took a photo I realised they were in fact flies. They are extremely small (2-3 mm), but look like several other species of larger fly. Also, I noticed clumps of eggs alongside them. Are they eggs of that species or are they another species and these flies were feeding off them?

Order: Diptera (flies) - though this is tenuous
Family/genus: Unknown
Vernacular name: Unknown
Scientific name: Unknown


Here you can see an egg in the foreground and a cluster (slightly blurred) in the background. Are they related to the fly?





No comments:

Post a Comment