Thursday, May 24, 2012

Small, but still scary ...

Much smaller than the last entry, this snake I saw whilst on Koh Chang, was very active and gave me the opportunity to get some photos of the full snake. This specimen differs in many ways to the previous entry. It has yellow eyes (the other has red eyes), it is much smaller, it was active on the ground (after being disturbed from his low branch) and its head is a slightly different shape. I'm confident it's a different species. Searching through the Internet, I found a great website on Thai snakes (http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_crotalidae.html) and I think I may have found out what this species is: Cardamom Mountains Green Pit Viper. Still, over to an expert, I suppose. 

Order: Squamata
Family: Viperidae (Vipers)
Subfamily: Crotalinae (Pit Vipers)
Vernacular name: Cardamom Mountains Green Pit Viper
Scientific name: Cryptelytrops cardamomensis







How I found him ...




No comments:

Post a Comment